Whitney Land Company
|Home||Ranches||Farms||Recreation||Commercial||Sold Properties||About Us||Contact Us|
Theater Road Property
Price $ 250,000.00
Of the 150.64 acres, 142 acres are in CRP with a contract that runs through 2017. The CRP land receives payment of $57.01 per acre, which equates to an $8,095.00 payment annually.
Identification of Subject Property:
Umatilla County –
Location of Subject Property:
Distances to Other Cities:
Pendleton, OR – 3 miles to downtown
Not all of the property is fenced, but the fencing that is in place is generally in good shape.
The property has easy access to electricity at several convenient points.
Recreation and Wildlife:
With the ranch being located right on the Umatilla Indian Reservation, hunting and recreation opportunities abound. Deer, quail and pheasant hunting has been available and usually successful in the past. Big game hunting for deer and elk is available in the nearby Blue Mountains, with USFS lands open to the public. The mountains are located just a short day trip to the south of the ranch.
Mineral rights are available. Any mineral or geothermal rights owned by the seller are included as part of the property being offered for sale.
2014/2015 tax year – $769.67
Access to the property is off of Theater Road and SE 56th Street.
In Pendleton, Oregon, summers are warm and winters are cold. In the summer months, the average temperatures are 77.5-86 degrees and in the winter months, the average temperatures are 25-28.5 degrees. The average annual precipitation is about 12.63 inches.
History of Pendleton, Oregon:
The historical city of Pendleton had its beginning in the early 1860s, when Moses Goodwin purchased land from a squatter for one span of horses. In 1868, the Umatilla County Court (established six years earlier) had a three-member selection committee to determine a site for the County Buildings. The site selected was between Birch and Wildhorse Creek, to be named Pendleton, in honor of Senator George H. Pendleton of Ohio (1864 vice presidential candidate for the United States). In December of that year, Moses Goodwin and his wife deeded 2 ½ acres of land to the county, from which the original town was platted on December 18, 1868. Pendleton was officially incorporated on October 25, 1880, with a population of 730 inhabitants. The early days found the citizens of Pendleton involved in many construction activities. A City Hall was constructed in 1908. The Umatilla River levy and the water transmission line were completed around 1915. The early Council minutes and ordinances reflect the colorful history of Pendleton. The first ordinance of the city dealt directly with drunkenness in public places, fights, and discharging of guns within the city limits. There are also accounts in the City Council minutes about Council members having to wade through knee deep mud and sewage from the inadequate septic tank drainage within the city. These major public works problems were overcome through the concerted efforts of citizens and through many trips, by the Mayor of Pendleton, to Salem to encourage the state legislature to allow the city to increase the debt limits of the city.
With the construction of a City Hall at 34 S.E. Dorion in 1908, all city services, including the police and fire departments, and the school district, were centralized in one structure. This close working relationship continued into the early 1950s, at which time the school district moved to its own administration offices. City Hall then housed the administration offices, water department, police department, and fire department. Later, the fire department relocated to two manned fire stations, one on S.W. Court Avenue and the other on Southgate. A third station is located at the airport, providing flight stand-by services. The police department moved to 109 S.W. Court in 1990.
In 1910, local attorney Roy Raley, who had an excellent flare for theatrics, decided to have a rodeo after harvest, and the famous Pendleton Round-Up was born. The show was such a success that property was purchased and permanent buildings and grounds were constructed to hold the annual event. The slogan "Let’er Buck" was adopted as the Round- Up byline. The traditional event is held annually in the second week in September and now draws over 50,000 people. Additionally, the Happy Canyon Pageant, under Mr. Raley's direction, started as the "Night Show."
Pendleton is adjacent to the Umatilla Indian Reservation. In May, 1855, five Indian tribes of Eastern Oregon and Washington territory met in Walla Walla to make a treaty with government officials. That treaty is known as the Treaty of 1855 and resulted in the formation of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Reservation.
Pendleton, like many communities in Oregon, was hard hit by the Depression of the 1930s. During the Depression, city employees took a cut in pay and the situation became so desperate that the City printed and issued scrip to be redeemed at local stores by City employees. Apparently the scrip was very successful since it appears the city somehow made money during the period it issued the scrip.
World War II brought a great deal of development to the Pendleton airport. Runways were expanded, housing added, a sewer and water system established, all to prepare for the training of American pilots who served overseas. Jimmy Dolittle Raiders trained at the Pendleton airport. Many of the structures and improvements built during the war are still visible at the airport today. The airport and surrounding property was turned over to the city after the war, and now houses the Eastern Oregon Regional Airport with approximately 13,000 enplanements a year.
A major change occurred in the city's organization in 1948 when the community adopted a Council/Manager form of government. Since 1948, there have been eleven City Managers, and the Council/Manager structure provides that all City employees work for the City Manager and the City Manager works for the City Council. The Council/Manager form of government assumes municipal operation can be run like a business and the City Manager serves as the general manager of this business. All city residents are encouraged to attend City Council meetings, which are the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 7:00 p.m., to see the operation of this form of government in action.
In September 1994, voters approved a 2.95 million dollar general obligation bond issue to convert the Helen McCune Junior High School to a City Hall and library. The City relocated to the building during November 1996. The City Hall at 34 S.E. Dorion was sold for private development. The Carnegie building, which housed the Library at 214 North Main, was leased to the Pendleton Arts Council.
The relocation of the City to the former Helen McCune Junior High Building brings a strong community emphasis to the 400 and 500 blocks of S.W. Dorion Avenue. The structures include the Vert building, City Hall and library, and a gymnasium. There are community meeting rooms and the Council Chambers/Municipal Court Room housed at this location.
The city of Pendleton, as a municipal corporation, has a proud history in terms of the service levels provided to its citizens. The services of ambulance, library, planning, police and fire protection, parks, water and sewer utilities, airport, building codes and zoning administration, and street maintenance, all have a direct effect on the quality of life in Pendleton.
The city of Pendleton proudly continues to move forward with an eye to the future while maintaining a keen awareness of the need to maintain the infrastructure and livability of Pendleton.
Pendleton Round-Up History:
The first Pendleton Round-Up was to be “a frontier exhibition of picturesque pastimes, Indian and military spectacles, cowboy racing and bronco busting for the championship of the Northwest.” It turned out to be that and more.
For the initial show, all stores closed. “The largest crowd in Pendleton’s history,” 7,000 strong, showed up for the first show on September 29, 1910, a newspaper writer reported. “The words ‘Pendleton’ and Round-Up’ are on the lips of thousands and will continue to be for months and years to come… The Round-Up is a whirlwind success.”
Two decades later, patrons showed up from 36 states and eight foreign countries. Following two years in which the Round-Up was not held because of World War II, attendance climbed again, eventually reaching 50,000 or more for the four-day show. “Success bred success and Round-Up stayed in high gear,” as stated in the book “Let’er buck!: A history of the Pendleton Round-Up.”
The key to the success of the rodeo and its many attendant activities is community participation through the efforts of its many volunteers. Native American participation has also been a strong attraction, whether in the Round-Up arena, at Happy Canyon, in the Indian Village or the Westward Ho! Parade. Long before women’s lib, the fairer sex got into the act at the Round-Up. Cowgirls in the early days of the Round-Up could be as tough as men. In 1914 Bertha Blanchett, wife of cowboy Del Blanchett, came within 12 points of winning the all-around title.
Midway through the Round-Up’s colorful history, a Eugene newspaper summed it up with a characterization that remains applicable today: “In good times and bad, Pendleton has gone on with the Round-Up.”
"People over on the Umatilla have always been willing to take a chance. Maybe that’s the real cowboy spirit. Maybe it’s a little bit tougher brand of civic spirit. Anyhow, in Pendleton, the show goes on.”
The Pendleton School District offers education from kindergarten through high school (K-12).
Oregon Department Fish Wildlife: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/
Todd Longgood, Broker
Please contact The Whitney Land Company office to schedule a showing. A listing agent must be present at all times to tour the property.